Unfuck Yourself is a conversational slap from the universe inviting us to take ownership of our lives and chase that which makes us truly happy written by a straight talking life coach from Glasgow, Scotland.
Unfuck Yourself Summary
Gary John Bishop is blunt and assertive. Offering up a series of life changing insights with a no holds barred style, this book reads as both a handbook resource and a call to action for all of us to focus on what makes us truly happy and successful.
Influenced by stoic philosophers, inspirational artists, entrepreneurs and great statesmen, the author places a great deal of focus on the power of language and the power of taking consistent action to follow up on our desires.
Below are some of the key insights from the book.
- The type of language we use when thinking 50,000 thoughts each day has a dramatic impact on our neurochemistry and thus overall wellbeing.
- We can strengthen our mindset and invite ourselves to adopt an active and assertive style with a series of important Mantras to repeat daily.
- I am Willing – We need to take total ownership of our destiny in order to influence events in our lives. We have to stop blaming events, others or fate for our misfortunes and instead find the inspiration to vitalise ourselves with the daily energy of being willing to achieve it.
- I am Wired to Win – Our mindset is consistently building our future with 95% of our activity governed by our subscious. Consequently, our mind is always pushing us to win at something (good/bad) as if on autopilot. We just need to decide which future to aim for.
- I Got This – Visualise your life as a railroad from the past into the future. We can see all the problems and difficulties overcome in the past and we can motivate ourselves that in the future we will succeed even in times when the struggle seems too much.
- I Embrace the Uncertainty – Events happen beyond our control and we have to embrace the uncertainty in order to reap the fruits of our labour. There is no point waiting for a sure thing when no one knows what the future will hold with each passing moment.
- I Am Not My Thoughts, I am My Actions – Thinking about success won’t make you successful. Visualising and imagining the future won’t bring it chasing towards you unless you invest in the actions that bring you the results you seek.
- I Am Relentless – In order to act, we must be relentless in mind, body and spirit. We need to seek out discomfort and embrace the pain in order to reach our highest goals in life.
- I Expect Nothing and Accept Everything – When we perform we are in charge of our actions but they cannot be tied to expectations. Expectations will drag us down when events don’t turn out the way we feel.
- I Take Action – To avoid the burden of expectations, we need to take action consistently and resolutely towards our highest goals.