The Tools is a set of 5 powerful psychological techniques developed by Dr Phil Schultz and Barry Michels – two of the most acclaimed psychotherapists in Hollywood – which work together to propel you forward in your life helping us to achieve and find happiness.
The Tools Summary
The Tools is an immensely practical guide to modern spiritual psychotherapy.
Speaking from over 60 years of experience, Barry and Phil detail how five mental modelling tools: The Reversal of Desire, Active Love, Inner Authority, Grateful Flow and Jeopardy can help us tap into a higher power and reshape our existence in creative and powerful ways.
Below are some of the key insights from the book.
- Traditional psychotherapy is bounded by a conceptual framework and scientific worldview that inhibits effective treatment and can often seem distanced from real world practice.
- We are socially programmed for pain avoidance but it is only through periods of pain and struggle that we evolve in mind, body and spirit.
- The Reversal of Desire encourages us to embrace pain and challenges in order to grow.
- The practice of Active Love helps us to escape the psychological Maze of Resentment affording us the chance to overcome our childish belief that we are special and deserve fair treatment at all times.
- The practice of Inner Authority involves visualising our shadow self and co-opting it as part of our personal power to project our authority externally out into the world, dissolving issues of insecurity, the need for external validation and fear of judgement.
- When our mind is filled with hatred, worry and negativity, we can introduce a Grateful Flow to burst through the clouds of disappointment and encourage us to appreciate the lightness of being all around us.
- Jeopardy is practice of visualising our final moments on earth, supercharging our commitment to self-expression and living in the present moment by reminding us of our mortality and insignificance in the wider scheme of the universe.