The Life Changing Magic Of Not Giving A Fuck is author and journalist Sarah Knight’s tongue in cheek guide to simplifying your life by focussing your time, energy and money on what you truly care about in life.
The Life Changing Magic Of Not Giving A Fuck Summary
The Life Changing Magic Of Not Giving A Fuck is almost a satirical take on the self-help genre inspired by Marie Kondo’s Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up..
Speaking for the stressed out, overworked, overbooked and underwhelmed, Sarah Knight argues that we should mentally declutter our life – just like Marie Kondo – by consciously removing from our lives the amount of things that occupy our time, energy and money that we truly don’t care about.
Below are some of the key insights from the book.
- Once you consciously decide what you care about you can stop wasting your time, energy and money on everything else.
- This process alone will free up huge resources you can use elsewhere to improve your health, finances, career, relationships and travel plans.
- Not giving a fuck is like putting on your life jacket before helping others.
- Think of your attention as a budget with a finite amount of fucks to give each day and therefore a scarce resource.
- You can sort your fucks into Things, Work, Friends and Family and work through them in that order.
- Things can be anything from trends, fashions, current affairs, sports that occupy your time, energy and money.
- Work is more complex but you can skip past meetings, conference calls, watercooler chats, POS reports, drinks and corporate politics.
- Friends involves consciously weakening or removing yourself from relationships and events that don’t serve you in life.
- Family is the most complex but should also be approached with this method.
- You can map how important all these things are in your life using a Venn diagram of Time, Money and Energy.
- You can also draw an Honesty vs. Politeness matrix to work out how to reject all of these commitments without becoming an impolite and dishonest asshole.
- Once you have consciously removing all this debris from your life you now will have the time to do exactly what you want in life – travel, exercise, sleep, start your own business or simply relax.