The Inside Out Revolution is a concise summary of the Three Principles School of Psychology, which puts spirituality and consciousness at the heart of the therapeutic process. Written with clarity and easy to understand examples, Michael Neill takes us through how working with the tree principles of Mind, Thought and Consciousness can change our lives.
The Inside Out Revolution by Michael Neill
The Inside Out Revolution is a great introductory read to a popular school of psychology.
Building on the work of Sydney Banks, The Inside Out Revolution introduces us to the idea that everything in our experience is created by mind, consciousness and thought.
This is a simple truth that all of us can relate to. Yet the implications are profound.
Instead of being governed by external circumstance (Outside In), our reality directly reflects our internal state (Inside Out) for better or for worse.
Below are some of the key insights I took from this book:
- “We are spiritual beings having an human experience, not human beings having a spiritual experience” – Teilhard De Chardin
- All humans as children are born with innate mental health.
- We don’t need to become worth of love. We are love, and this feeling is always available to us.
- All life is experienced by mind, thought and consciousness (Three Principles)
- We are always just one thought away from a spiritual fact that will change your life.
- People think experience happens Outside-In but it actually happens Inside-Out.
- Because of this, our reality changes as we raise our levels of consciousness via acceptance, love, gratitude and other virtues.
- When thoughts look real we live in fear, when thoughts look subjective we live in choice, when thoughts look illusory we wake up in a world of dreams. (Spiritual Awakening)
- Thinking Outside-In only allows us to address the sympton not the cause.
- Mind + New Thought + Consciousness = New Reality.
- But spirtual surrender allows us to transcend the probem entirely allowing us to move effortlessly to a higher consciousness. (Transcendence)
- We have innate mental health as a default setting, so we don’t need to do anything to achieve connection, presence and wellbeing.
- Instead, we simply push the reset button to return to our default programming.
- Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens (Jimi Hendrix)
- Meditation returns us to our default state.
- There is nothing we can do that will quiet the mind faster then doing nothing to quieten the mind.
- The less you think, the better life becomes (Less is More)
- Achievement doesn’t lead to happiness. Happiness is a choice.
- Nothing is real. So we have nothing to lose. We are playing just to play and should transcend false consciousness by remembering our mortality (Steve Jobs)
- Helplessness → Empowered → Enlightened.
- We go from victims to creators to conduits as we raise our level of consciousness.
- No matter how hard a surfer works, the waves are doing the heavy lifting.