The Art of Life Admin is a treatise on life admin looking at how we can do less of it, do it better and live more rather than struggling with the frustration and energy wasting experience of being lost in bureaucracy, chores and red tape.
The Art of Life Admin Summary
The Art of Life Admin looks at the invisible source of labour that drains us of our energy, time and money – admin.
Identifying admin as a form of uncompensated labour, the book looks at how we can respond to remove this burden from our everyday lives with practical suggestions for both our personal lives and government policy
Below are some of the key insights from the book.
- Admin is a form of uncompensated labour that goes unnoticed in GDP per capita statistics and human welfare.
- The burden of admin steals focus, time, energy and money that could be directed elsewhere.
- When you say yes to something you are always saying no to something else.
- Depending on a matrix of effectiveness / joy at completing admin, we are either a SuperDoer, Reluctant Doer, Admin Denyer or Admin Avoider.
- The pleasure of forms can be a form of pleasure. An unspoken secret about admin is that many people actually enjoy it.
- Life admin creeps up on us with the perfect storm “Sandwich Generation” involving care for elderley parents and childcare at the same time.
- The urgency/importance matrix can help us to unpick which forms of admin are actually important to act upon in life.
- Many forms of admin are encouraged by immense industries (e.g. Taxation, Healthcare, Bureaucracy)
- Many strategies can be used to deal with admin (e.g. automation, systemisation, simplification, optimisation, routinisation, outsourcing) and should be matched in accordance with your admin personality style.
- Individual life hacks can also prove effective (e.g. No Need To Reply NNR, creating default plans, habit formation)